COE SPRING EDUCATION ISSUES FORUM:
Advancing Democracy and Justice in Public Education in the Trump/DeVos Era
Tuesday, May 2, 2017
Lincoln Park Student Center, Room 314
The keynote speaker is Dr. Kevin Kumashiro, former Dean of the University of San Francisco, School of Education; formerly at UIC, where he served as professor and coordinator of Asian-American Studies, Chair of the Department of Educational Policy Studies, and Interim Co-Director of the Institute for Research on Race and Public Policy; Fellow at the National Education Policy Center; and author of many books on education and social justice.
· Brandon Johnson, Deputy Political Director, Chicago Teachers Union
· Cheryl Flores, Director of Youth Services & Community Schools, Brighton Park Neighborhood Council
· Cassie Creswell, Co-executive Director, Raise Your Hand Action
Join us for a discussion about:
• The DeVos Department of Education's policies so far
• The illusion of "choice" as a strategy for school improvement
• Increasing support for public schools - local organizing initiatives
• Advancing an agenda of democracy, equity and justice
Discussion groups will follow the panel.
Registration is required. Please register here.
3 CPDUs available for teachers.
For more information, please contact Diane Horwitz at email@example.com