Click the link for information about the Reach Higher White House Initiative, a program developed to inspire students to pursue higher education.
Tuesday, April 7, 2015
CPS is looking for mentors for their Summer Acceleration program! See the description below. If interested, please email your name and contact information to email@example.com by April 14th.
Summer Acceleration Mentoring and Counseling Supports
To improve the summer program attendance rate and attendance of the first day of school for students participating in the Summer Acceleration program and 8th grade Summer Bridge. (i.e., over-aged-under credited, chronically truant students)
Summer Acceleration is a summer school program for approximately 1,200 students who are 15 years old but did not graduate from Elementary School. The goal of the program is prepare students academically and socially for high school. Students who successfully complete the program will receive an eighth grade diploma. The program runs from June 29 through July 28. The Summer Acceleration program consists of Reading and Mathematics support and social emotional classes. The social emotional classes are taught by a CPS Counselor.
The Summer Acceleration Mentoring and Counseling interns will assist the Summer Acceleration Counselors with implementation of the Social and Emotional classes, act as mentors for students, and facilitate knowledge about the students between Elementary and High School Counselors. Mentoring and Counseling interns will also have the opportunity to continue supporting a student on their caseload by serving as a Next Generation mentor as the student transitions to ninth grade.
Responsibilities of the Mentoring and Counseling Interns
· Provide mentoring support to a caseload of ~25 summer acceleration students
· Facilitate the articulation of knowledge about Summer Acceleration student issues and needs between Elementary School and High School Counselors
· Based on knowledge gained during articulation activities, complete the attendance, behavior, and post-secondary sections of the Individual Success Plan required for all students
· Assist Summer Transition Counselors with the implementation of the SEL classes (as a part of Freshmen Connection (if applicable)
· Conduct outreach calls targeted at ensuring the attendance on the first day of school for students in high risk populations such as chronically truant and homeless students
Timing of the Program
The Summer Acceleration Counseling Intern position will last of 10 weeks. The position will begin on June 22, 2015 and end on August 28, 2015.
The interns will earn $15 per hour for 25 hours per week.