Welcome to the 2015-2016 Academic Year! Now that classes have begun, we'd like to provide you with a few updates and announcements.
1. Welcome Dr. Corinne Kodama to the College Student Development (CSD) program. Dr. Kodama joins the Department of Counseling and Special Education as an instructional assistant professor. She earned a Bachelor of Arts in International Studies and Bachelor of Arts in Music from University of Washington, Master of Arts in College Student Personnel from University of Maryland, and Doctor of Philosophy in Higher Education Administration from Loyola University in Chicago. Dr. Kodama will be teaching CSD specific courses this year.
2. Welcome Marc Pedroso, Department Assistant. Marc joins the COE as the department assistant to Counseling and Special Education. He has a bachelor’s degree in art from the New School in New York, and he currently is completing his Masters in Media from DePaul University. In the past, Marc worked for Parsons School of Design in New York as a Program Assistant, Northwestern University as a Program Assistant/Event Coordinator, and most recently at Roy Boyd Gallery as Associate Director.
3. The Counseling program is pursuing CACREP accreditation. This year the Counseling faculty will be the process of earning CACREP accreditation thanks to the support of our Department Chair, Dr. Beverly Trezek and Dean Paul Zionts of the College of Education. The accreditation process complex is complex, tedious and time-consuming but ultimately one that we hope will benefit the program. During the Fall quarter, faculty will determine the initial steps of the process and provide you with updates via CSLNews. At this time we can make no clear estimates about when we would potentially receive accreditation. The CACREP website has a page for students with lots of helpful information.
4. The next New Student Group Advising session is Tuesday, October 6th from 4:30-5:30pm. All new students must attend a group advising session before they can meet with a faculty advisor. Please RSVP to Marc Pedroso, at email@example.com.
5. Advising assignments have been updated. Advising responsibilities of faculty rotate each year due to teaching loads, research leaves and various other factors. For returning students in their 2nd year and new students who have attended the Group Advising session, the concentration advisors are as follows: Dr. McDevitt for CSD, Dr. Tovar-Murray for CMH and Dr. Ockerman for CMH. Advisors for interns and the internship process are separate because of the significance of the professional practice phase. For internship for CSD or CMH, please contact Dr. Gnilka and for internship for SCH, please contact Dr. Novakovic.
Should you have any questions or concerns that cannot be addressed by the department assistant or faculty, please contact either:
Dr. Erin Mason, Associate Chair and Counseling Faculty
Dr. Beverly Trezek, Department Chair and Special Education Faculty
Here's to a great year at DePaul!