Tuesday, January 17, 2017
A Knock at Midnight, a community non-profit organization on the South Side of Chicago, is looking for committed tutor/mentor volunteers for our after-school program at Harvard Elementary School (7525 S. Harvard). Our program runs from 3:30-6:30, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, and we are asking for a minimum of 1 night/week commitment until the end of the academic year. Our primary goal is to find consistent volunteers who can build one-on-one relationships with 3rd-8th grade students and offer homework help/academic support as needed. Please call agency director Ida Brown or program coordinator Brea Adams (email@example.com) with any questions or to schedule a volunteer orientation today – (773) 488-2960.
Winter Education Issues Forum: Trauma Informed Teaching and Counseling
Tuesday, February 21, 2017
5:30- 7:30 P.M.
Lincoln Park Student Center, Room 314
The panel of experts will discuss causes and symptoms of child trauma and how it can impact students' learning and academic performance. The panel will focus on chronic trauma, particularly related to poverty-impacted stressors and violence, and will offer strategies for both teachers and counselors to help effectively work with students affected by trauma.
Topics to be discussed include:
• Understanding multiple causes of trauma
• Identifying trauma symptoms in students
• Building systems of support in schools
• Developing classroom interventions and clinical services
• Addressing prevention and advocacy
• Self-care for teachers and counselors
The panel includes:
• Dr. Tara Gill, Clinical Psychologist, Center for Childhood Resilience, Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital
• Michael Moriarty, NBCT, former high school math teacher, Professional Development Facilitator, Quest Center, Chicago Teachers Union Foundation
• James Smith, MA, LPC, Counselor/Case Manager, John Cook Elementary School, CPS
2 CPDUs are available. For more information and to register for the forum, please contact Dr. Diane Horwitz at firstname.lastname@example.org.