COE SPRING EDUCATION ISSUES FORUM:
Advancing Democracy and Justice in Public Education in the Trump/DeVos Era
Tuesday, May 2, 2017
Lincoln Park Student Center, Room 314
Registration is required. Please register here.
The keynote speaker is Dr. Kevin Kumashiro, former Dean of the University of San Francisco, School of Education; formerly at UIC, where he served as professor and coordinator of Asian-American Studies, Chair of the Department of Educational Policy Studies, and Interim Co-Director of the Institute for Research on Race and Public Policy; Fellow at the National Education Policy Center; and author of many books on education and social justice.
· Brandon Johnson, Deputy Political Director, Chicago Teachers Union
· Cheryl Flores, Director of Youth Services & Community Schools, Brighton Park Neighborhood Council
· Cassie Creswell, Co-executive Director, Raise Your Hand Action
Join us for a discussion about:
• The DeVos Department of Education's policies so far
• The illusion of "choice" as a strategy for school improvement
• Increasing support for public schools - local organizing initiatives
• Advancing an agenda of democracy, equity and justice
Discussion groups will follow the panel.
3 CPDUs available for teachers. Dr. Kumashiro’s books and other titles will be available for purchase at the forum through the DePaul University bookstore. For more information, please contact Diane Horwitz at email@example.com