College of Education Winter Forum
Thursday, February 18th
5:30 - 8:30 P.M.
Student Center 314 AB
TAKING A CRITICAL LOOK AT THE edTPA: High Stakes Test for New Teachers
All prospective teacher candidates for licensure in Illinois are now required to pass the edTPA (Education Teacher Performance Assessment). Our winter forum will take a critical look at this process from the perspectives of student teachers, university clinical supervisors, academic researchers, education professors and parents.
The issues the panelists will address include:
• The concerns of prospective teachers, their cooperating teachers, university clinical supervisors, and parents who have had experience with the edTPA
• Critiques of the edTPA as an effective way to evaluate beginning teachers
• The role of the Pearson corporation, the developer and scorer for edTPA, and Pearson's broader involvement in the trend toward high stakes testing in K-12
• How pre-service teachers can best negotiate the edTPA process
• Strategies & advocacy to change the edTPA
Dr. Marie Donovan, Associate Professor, DePaul University’s College of Education, will serve as moderator.
• Dr. Alison Dover, Assistant Professor of Secondary Education, College of Education, Northeastern Illinois University
• Julie Peters, Associate Director of the Teaching of History Program, UIC; founding member of the Coalition for edTPA Rule Change
• Cheryl Witucke, Coordinator of Clinical Supervision, Division of Education, Trinity International University
• Trisha Wickland, MA, Concordia University; 1st, 2nd grade teacher. St. Paul Lutheran School in the Austin neighborhood, Chicago
• Cassandra Creswell, organizer with More Than a Score, board member of Raise Your Hand Illinois
3 CPDUs are available.
For more information and to R.S.V.P., please contact Dr. Diane Horwitz at email@example.com